ADvindicate is in the processes of drafting new guidelines for commenting, but we want to include you in the process. Here is draft of what is being proposed. Please leave your feedback in the comments below or through our contact page.
- We will remove comments that are posted anonymously or without first and last name.
- We welcome debate and dissent, but personal attacks (on authors, other users or any individual), persistent trolling and mindless abuse will not be tolerated. We recognize the difference between criticizing a particular organization, government, community or belief and personal attacks.
- We acknowledge criticism of the articles we publish, but will not allow persistent misrepresentation of ADvindicate and our writers to be published on our website. For the sake of robust debate, we will distinguish between constructive, focused argument and smear tactics.
- We understand that people often feel strongly about issues debated on the site, but we will consider removing any content that others might find extremely offensive or threatening. Please respect other people's views and beliefs and consider your impact on others when making your contribution.
- We reserve the right to redirect or curtail conversations which descend into flame-wars based on ingrained partisanship or generalizations.
- We will remove any content that may put us in legal jeopardy, such as potentially libellous or defamatory postings, or material posted in potential breach of copyright.
- We will remove any posts that are obviously commercial or otherwise spam-like. This may also apply to people or organizations who frequently post propaganda or external links without adding substantively to the quality of the discussion on ADvindicate.
- Keep it relevant. We know that some conversations can be wide-ranging, but if you post something which is unrelated to the original topic ("off-topic"), it may be deleted. Queries or comments about moderation should be made through the help forum or contact page.
- Be aware that you may be misunderstood, so try to be clear about what you are saying, and expect that people may understand your contribution differently than you intended. Remember that text isn't always a great medium for conversation: tone of voice (sarcasm, humour and so on) doesn't always come across when using words on a screen.
- The platform is ours, but the conversation belongs to everybody. We want this to be a welcoming space for intelligent discussion, and we expect participants to help us achieve this by notifying us of potential problems and helping each other to keep conversations inviting and appropriate. If you spot something problematic in the comments, please report it. When we all take responsibility for maintaining an appropriate and constructive environment, the debate itself is improved and everyone benefits.
You will notice there are two rules that have been left out:
- No consecutive comments within the same thread.
- Comments should not exceed 20 lines.
We are currently testing another comment system that would potentially make these rules obsolete and add some other features such as comment editing. The system looks promising, so be on the lookout.
We're wanting as much feedback as possible on these guidelines, so we're lifting the user account requirement. You may leave a comment as long as you use your first and last name. No need to leave your email address or login.
We look forward to reading your feedback.